Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Big Fish (Tadpole) Tale

Ok, its Minnesota and its Dec 16th…our 2nd shipment of tadpoles arrived today. The first arrived frozen last week!  We were very disturbed. Called GAF and she said she would ship again. I was very concerned because it is too cold for these little guys. Well…she said she would try. Again our mailman has proven himself not able to read, left the tads in the mailbox. It was 5 degrees out!!!!! My son, whom the tads are for, brought them in immediately. I got home 1 hour later with the tads lying in the transport bags looking dead. I watched for a few mins and thought I saw some undulating in the tail of one. Sure enough, I did. So I held the bag in my hand to further warm it. It appears that the water never froze…but it must have been close.

5 hours later one is on his belly, on the bottom of the tad pool, breathing and moving slowly around. Has not made it to the top of the water yet. The other is not doing so well, he is on his side, not really breathing much, his heart is beating and tail is waving. He revived much slower than the first. I am sure they both are suffering from hypothermia. The second one’s whiskers look to be broken off? Is that bad? Both are very short, about 1/16th of an inch.

So we wait, to see if they survive. We are praying hard…we offered a Novena to St Jude to get them here alive…well he did that…so one will be named Jude and the other Miracle as we feel it was a miracle that they have made it this far. All this is for a science project for my son….that is why they sent them in the first place, because it was a project. Otherwise I believe they would have not sent them as it is way too cold here in the North.

Hoping you can offer words of encouragement. I am guarded about the first 72 hours. We look forward to them swimming tail up!

Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment