Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pre & Post WO Snacking

Why all the Confusion surrounding  Pre & Post WO snacks?
This topic always seems to bring out some pretty strong opinions from various trainers...do you really need to fuel prior to and after strength training....? 

In my mind you walk a fine line between not getting enough fuel to build muscle and getting too much fuel (calories) which can then lead to energy storage in the form of fat.  With that said, I stand as an proponent of fueling your muscles, pre and post.  Do include these snacks in your daily caloric tracking. They count.  Plan for them much like you plan for your splurges. Just for the record, I feel much better after a killer workout when I  down my post workout shake. Yumm-O.... It snaps me right out of fatigue mode. .. thank goodness.  Below I jotted down the plan developed for me by my sports nutritionist, Jodi, at jodiOjo.com.  She comes highly recommended, BTW...enjoy.

Be Well


My Pre Work out Fuel- (10-30 mins before WO)
ratio 1:2

10-12 g protein
20g carb from fruit or starches

protein: best choices
whey powder, egg whites, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, fruit on bottom yogurt -greek if possible
fruit: apples, bananas, grapes, pineapple
starches: rice cakes (brown rice) / jam
crackers, granola, cereal
 
My Post Workout Fuel -10 mins before workout ends to 30 mins after- no later!
ratio 1:3

10-12 g protein
30 g carb from starches

protein: see above
Starches: rice cakes/jam, Choc Milk, oatmeal, brown rice, bread

Superfood (aka green / red food) supplements work great here!! Consider including them.  Your bod will thank you.

Choc Milk!!!! is easiest
Note: Whey protein powder with Nestle Nesquik is a great alternative...adjust amounts to ratio’s above as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment