Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mama Needs Her Coffee!

I have a confession to make, I hate mornings.

Maybe a more accurate way to put it is, I hate waking up to the incessant triple beeps of my Dream Machine.  4:20 am baby! Ouch...why so early? I ask my self that every single morning. The second thing that always, I mean always, comes rushing into my foggy brain at that time of the morning is " I hate getting up".  Don't think I don't know the power of positive thinking here...get me any other time of the day and I would say I am not such a drag. But man at 4am every single morning I want the retired life, where I get up leisurely and pittter patter in my UGG slips to the kitchen to slam a large glass of cold water chased by fresh brewed coffee.  Aahhh, that dream could not get better.

Cranky mama? Maybe...
Best left alone? Definitely within the first 30 minutes of waking.
Walking Dead? Of course.



SO what is a girl to do. Drink her coffee. You got it.  Wake up and smell the roses or is it coffee? In my world its all about the coffee.  Once the coffee is ingested, gulp, slurped...my world becomes a much nicer place. All of a sudden, the flower child in me reemerges.  Good Thing. Seriously!!!!!!

Ok so here it is, the info geek you know and adore...I have to do a lil educating. Coffee is good. Really.....you can have it..wanna know why?

First of all, cause it's what your mama taught you. It is one of the most socially acceptable stimulants worldwide. Yipppeeee!  Coffee has some chemical bene's ...namely caffeine and antioxidants like polyphenols, catechins, and favonoids.  Blah, blah, blah...blah.  More than 150 million people drink coffee every day and I am one of them. You too? Most people average 2 cups a day or around 280 mg of caffeine. Heavy drinkers slam four or more cups a day. You do the math. Just gonna say this right now, if you are drinking caffeinated sodas STOP IT!  This pro-caffeine blog is not about the pop or energy drinks...nope, nope, nope.  And coffee drinkers, careful how much sugar you dump into your morning cup of Joe, your pancreas will thank you along with your physique.  Black is best. Yup. Or head over to your fav coffee joint, mine happens to be Starbucks, for an Americano! Heaven sent, just saying.

We know caffeine is a stimulant,  a neurotransmitter excitor!  hahaha
Athletic performance can benefit from small to moderate doses of caffeine (2-3 mg/kg) with few side effects other than the happy chattiness you will experience if you hang out with me post coffee. Mental alertness a another bonus. Agreed.  The majority of studies indicate that there MAY be a modest inverse relationship between coffee consumption and all-cause mortality. Good news. We can drink the joe and not worry that it's gonna kill us.

Bottom line: Give mama her coffee or suffer the dire consequences .....just saying.

Be well (and drink your coffee!)

No comments:

Post a Comment