Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Road to Iron Girl 2012

 October 13, 2011  
The air is crisp and cool. The colors are vibrant. I am afraid fall is upon us. 


You know I really love this time of year, I do...but my recent interest renewal (aka love) in cycling and my self professed need for speed have me yearning for an extension of summertime with it's longer hours of daylight.  

OK, since fall has descended upon us, I have started pondering what my training should look like to ready myself effectively for the next race season.  I mentioned in my previous post that I plan on competing in the 2012 Iron Girl since I missed my chance this year.  I have started looking also at an early season "get my rear in gear" race to familiarize myself with what a duathlon "feels" like, how to transition, and how hard to pace each leg of the race, etc.

Today my fabby trainer Jodi and I talked about my overall physique goals (strong toned arms, legs) and how the bike will affect my legs.  We talked about my functional fitness goals and how these can be maintained by training at Velocity.  How continuing my practice of yoga on a regular basis is essential.  How my lifting programs will emphasize tempo instead of heavy . But I am excited to try something new this off season.  I am going to incorporate cycle power training classes at the local bike shop throughout the winter. 



I am pumped to start power training with elite athlete Leah Prudhomme to learn the sport of cycling and the strategies behind competitive racing. Things such at power, AT, cadence, and endurance I guess. Things I can't even begin to talk about because I have no idea at this time what they are. My hope is to increase my speed and be one of the top women finishers in my age group in the Iron Girl.  Lofty goal? Yes. But fun to think about, don't you agree? 
I am off [to the races]...



No comments:

Post a Comment